fbpx

Tag: camp 2

Camp 2 on Makalu Camp 2 on Makalu

Climb to Camp 2

Sending news home
Mike sends news from base camp

We have had very strong winds on Makalu the past 3 days. Yesterday myself and Fred climbed to Camp 2 to check our tent. We found our tent still standing which was great news because all other equipment we need for the summit push is in the tent.

The climb went very well and we feel well rested and acclimatised. the only thing we need now is good weather.

Makalu by night Makalu by night

Back to camp 2

Makalu by night
Makalu at night

The waiting continues…

Unfortunately the weather has only got worse. There has been extremely strong winds in altitude with gusts of up to 160km/hr on the summit.

Fred and Mike have been told there may be a good weather window opening up in one weeks time. They are more ready than ever to attempt the summit but for now must be patient. Because of the very strong winds they are worried that their equipment that they initially placed at camp 2 may have blown away.  Tomorrow they will climb to camp 2 and check if their equipment is still there.

If all goes as planned the weather window will open up around the 16th of May.

Mike is in a constant state of travel and adventure , so keep up to date on all his expeditions !